I’ve noticed that even in the lower priced stores, garden supplies seem a bit pricey for what they are. Knowing there were alternatives out there, I began to research and found several cheap and easy gardening ideas. I’m annoyed that I’ll have to wait until next spring to try some of these!
- Forget seed starting kits and peat pellets! Starting sturdy seeds is just as easy and changing the toilet paper roll!
- Have small plants that need just a little support? Use chopsticks! They’re already tapered for easy soil insertion. Plus, many of us already have them lying around from ordering takeout.
- Milk jugs and other plastic containers with holes poked in the cap make pretty good
watering jugs. Just make sure the lid’s on tight or you might have a flood when you expected a sprinkle.
- Don’t buy border fencing right away. Try using tall plants in pots as deterrents to keep your plants safe from people and animals. This works well for small spaces and gardens that only need protection from a single side (i.e. next to the front walk)
IDEAS I CAN’T TAKE OR GIVE CREDIT FOR (Where did I learn these? I can’t remember.)
- Ants don’t like crossing chalk lines! Have potted plants on a hard surface? Draw a border around them with chalk!
- Use old aquarium water to water your plants! It’s loaded with good stuff the dirt will love.
- Use beer in a shallow container to entice and drown slugs.